Senior Director of Data Science
Company: Discount Tire
Posted on: September 9, 2020
Job DescriptionHere at Discount Tire, we celebrate the spirit of
our people with extraordinary pride and enthusiasm. As America's
largest independent tire retailer, specializing solely in tires &
wheels, we have over 1,000 store locations, and growing by nearly 1
store per week making us the 95th largest private corporation in
the U.S. (2018). Our consistent growth over the last 59 years, as
well as, the loyalty of our customers and passion of our employees
makes Discount Tire a great place to work.
Even more exciting, Discount Tire is predicting, embracing and
driving the changes expected in the Automotive Industry. In
particular, Data and Analytics are seen as our competitive
advantage. The Director - Data Science role will be responsible for
continuing to grow and build upon the accomplishments of the
analytics team, as well as provide hands on expertise for the most
complicated tasks. In this role, you will be actively involved in
shaping the company strategy. We are leveraging a word class data
environment, so that this position can help us to:
- Develop decision support and predictive solutions for customers
- Leverage AI for pattern recognition and beyond
- Optimize business outcomes
- Gain insights from big data
The Senior Director of Data Science will report directly to the
Chief Strategy and Innovations Officer and closely collaborate with
an established analytics leadership team to define and deliver an
analytics roadmap. The successful candidate will use their
expert-level leadership and collaborative skills to influence the
organization by helping implement a culture of mathematical rigor,
experimentation and efficient & effective iteration that focuses on
driving business performance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct advanced analytics leveraging predictive modeling,
machine learning, data mining, data visualizations, simulation, and
optimization; interprets disparate data/complex data sets/
structured and unstructured data and other techniques to deliver
insights or develop analytical solutions to achieve business
- Act as a technical thought leader in collaboration with the
analytics leadership team, helping to set the strategy and
standards for data science and advanced analytics
- Work with senior leaders from all functions to explore
opportunities for using advance analytics
- Provide technical leadership, coaching, and mentoring to
talented data scientists and analytics professionals
- Guide data scientists in the use of advanced statistical,
machine learning, and artificial intelligence methodologies
- Guide the work of other data scientists to provide support and
assistance, while also ensuring quality
- Define data science methodology for more complex business
- Partner with the team's Technology Manager and data engineers
to enable appropriate data flow/data model, development
tools/technology, rapid prototyping and inform the design of
- Partner with domain experts to verify model capabilities and
translate modeling outputs from statistical inferences into
- Coach and Develop employees on all levels about data science
tools and methodologies
- This position requires a minimum of 10 years of progressive
advanced analytics experience, developing predictive mathematical
models and algorithms.
- Proven knowledge of various databases with ability to code in
Python, R, and SQL is required.
- Hands on experience with Machine learning and AI (ie: random
forest, linear regression, cluster analysis, XG Boost, etc.) is
- Experience with data integration, profiling, cleansing and
normalization: structured, unstructured, 3rd party is
- Strong proficiency with data visualization techniques is
- Proven knowledge of statistical inference is needed.
- Ability to frame solutions to complex problems is vital.
- Image recognition and natural language processing
- Experience with simulation, network optimization, and workflow
analysis is preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel
and PowerPoint is required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate across all levels of the
organization is necessary; must be able to clearly articulate
technical ideas to a non-technical audience both verbally and in
- Ability to work independently and in a team is vital.
- The ability to multi-task, and manage multiple projects to meet
various deadlines simultaneously is required.
- The ability to work efficiently under pressure, accurately meet
deadlines, present a professional demeanor and work well
independently is essential.
- Customer service skills, including the ability to manage and
respond to different customer situations while maintaining a
positive and friendly attitude are essential.
- In addition, organizational and problem solving skills, a
can-do attitude, and the ability to adjust to changing requirements
are essential. Maintaining confidentiality, treating others with
respect and upholding Company values are key attributes.
Master's degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics,
Quantitative Economics, Statistics, Engineering, Physics, Applied
Sciences or related field. PhD preferred.
Normal work days are Monday through Friday. Occasional Saturdays
and Sundays may be necessary.
Normal work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Additional hours may
Not ready to
Keywords: Discount Tire, Scottsdale , Senior Director of Data Science, Executive , Scottsdale, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!