Clinical Pharmacy Specialist Ambulatory Care
Posted on: April 11, 2021
The Ambulatory Care Clinical Pharmacy Specialist provides high
quality, direct patient care through active participation on the
healthcare team as a pharmacotherapy expert in the ambulatory care
setting. The Ambulatory Care Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
contributes to the selection of drug therapy, implementation of
patient-specific medication regimens, and provision of
comprehensive medication education to maximize therapeutic benefit
and minimize risks of adverse events. In addition, the Ambulatory
Care Clinical Pharmacy Specialist will conduct educational
activities, apply principles of performance improvement, advance
pharmacy practice, and optimize care.
- Performs disease state management and comprehensive medication
review for patients in the Ambulatory setting.
- Critically evaluates disease state and adjusts medication
therapy to optimize medication regimens and improve clinical
- Ensures utilization of appropriate and cost-effective
- Areas of focus may include, but are not limited to, disease
state management, medication management, and adverse drug event
prevention and management.
- Consults with medical providers regarding optimal drug therapy
management to improve clinical outcomes and promote patient safety
related to medications.
- Completes thorough patient assessments and applies principles
of evidence-based medicine to establish patient-specific
therapeutic drug regimens.
- Provides essential medication education to patients to promote
engagement in self-management activities, medication adherence, and
- Conducts patient-centered clinical pharmacy functions and
appropriately documents all patient care activities in the
electronic medical record.
- Demonstrates accurate and thorough documentation skills.
Facilitates pharmacist-to-provider communication of clinical
interventions and recommendations.
- Adheres to clinical practices approved by the Pharmacy and
Therapeutics Committee (e.g. collaborative practice agreements,
clinical pharmacy protocols).
- Contributes to the total body of knowledge of pharmacy through
publication and/or educational presentations. Provides
presentations, in-services, or lectures annually (community,
nursing, physician, pharmacy, local or national meetings), and
educational information to physicians, nursing staff, and other
allied health care professionals.
- Acts as a network resource and drug information expert in the
specialty area of practice. Provides detailed drug information and
education to the health care team, pharmacy, patients, and
community. Actively participates in department and network-based
committees and effectively communicates with stakeholders.
- Develops, contributes, and applies evidence-based medication
guidelines and/or protocols, medication use evaluations, and
disease-based evaluations. Collects and analyzes medication-use
data per predefined criteria and formulates appropriate
recommendations for implementation.
- Precepts PGY1 and PGY2-Pharmacy residents and pharmacy
students. Meets preceptor criteria established by American Society
of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). Contributes to staff
development by assisting with training of new team members,
including teaching and exemplifying clinical and operational
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Keywords: HonorHealth, Scottsdale , Clinical Pharmacy Specialist Ambulatory Care, Healthcare , Scottsdale, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!