What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest
strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in
the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our
competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do
business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are
looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live
the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from
The Senior IT Operations Analyst (Service Management) will focus
on implementation, management and continuous improvement of
processes to ensure appropriately controlled and documented IT
environments. The scope of this role includes focus on continuous
improvement of configuration, incident, problem, change and service
level management activities.
- Acts as primary lead for one or more ITIL processes (Incident,
Problem, Change), providing day to day guidance to other Operations
Analysts related to the process.
- Management of High Priority Major Incidents within complex
environments; engaging, focusing and driving internal and external
resolver teams to efficiently restore service and communicating
during Major Incidents to stakeholders across the company.
- For High Risk Changes, performs impact and risk analysis to
ensure the risks/impacts to customers and services are thoroughly
understood and to ensure that appropriate actions have been planned
to minimize both the risk of failure and the impact on
- Leads problem management lifecycle, including assembling the
relevant stakeholders, establishing the root cause, and ensuring
senior IT leadership is apprised of progress and recommendations
- Proactively monitors and reviews Incident tickets to identify
patterns and in partnership with the Service Owner create problem
records to be researched.
- Provides training and guidance on all ITIL and ITSM processes
used within Markel.
- Performs detailed analysis of process compliance across all of
IT and works to continually improve the maturity and adoption of
ITIL and ITSM processes within Markel.
- Monitors and reports on Service Levels across all relevant
processes and presents findings and recommendations to Sr IT
- Required - Bachelor's degree in Business Management,
Accounting, Computer Science, Information Systems, other related
field or equivalent work experience, including military
- Preferred - Master's degree in Information Systems or Business
- ITIL v3 or v4 Foundations required; additional ITIL
- Familiarity and certification on IT and business governance
frameworks such as COBIT and SOX a plus
- Insurance certifications or affiliation with industry group a
- 5+ years of overall service management experience
- 3+ years leading one or more service management process domains
(e.g. Incident, Problem, Change, etc.)
- Insurance industry background preferred
- Able to develop and convey a point of view in plain language
based on audience
- Experience building relationships and are a trusted advisor to
IT and business partners
- Delivery of high-quality presentations
- Demonstrated ability to identify, collect and analyze data to
improve performance in one or more process areas
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Experience leading organizational change
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the
ability to grasp and apply new information quickly
- Strong project management sills
- Prior experience using ServiceNow ITSM tool preferred
- Ability to motivate/guide a team but still work effectively as
an individual contributor
- Shows flexibility and attention to details
- Strong desire for continuous improvement
- Ability to handle ever increasing responsibility and
assignments with growing complexity
- Shows initiative on assignments, and professionally executes
projects with little direction
- Ability to be creative and innovative
Please note: Markel has a phased approach for re-entry into our
buildings that is designed to balance the ongoing health, safety,
and well-being of our employees with operational considerations and
regulatory/ governmental requirements and recommendations. Remote
working is still the preferred method of working for most positions
at this time. Effective 6/1/21 we will implement a return to work
strategy that allows for three days in the office every other week.
We will update with further developments.
"Why work for us?"
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that
diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing
people's differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation.
We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate
around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the
world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back
is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this
philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our
open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as
they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and
global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the
Markel Style-some of our best ideas start from a conversation
between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a
better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates
proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further
success to Markel.