IF YOU PREVIOUSLY APPLIED FOR THIS POSITION, YOU DO NOT NEED TO
RE-SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- THIS IS A GRANT FUNDED POSITION & 12 MONTH
Under direction of the Food Service Supervisor, the Food Service
Cook prepares and provides meals and food items that meet mandated
nutritional requirements and/or special dietary needs of students
and school personnel. Assigned kitchen will be at the early
childhood, elementary or high school. Provides leadership and
guidance to assigned personnel in the performance of their job
Examples of Tasks
Primary Job Functions
(Primary functions may vary among positions, but may include the
following tasks, knowledge, abilities, skills, and other
characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not
intended to be a comprehensive listing of tasks performed by all
positions within this classification).
- Prepares food or assists in food preparation.
- Completes associated production records and other required
- Monitors food and equipment temperatures and maintains
appropriate temperature logs.
- Receives food and supply deliveries according to established
- Operates computerized meal count programs, as needed.
- Operates various types of kitchen equipment including, but not
limited to; slicer, chopper, mixer, oven, steamer, tilting-skillet,
dishwasher, knives and kitchen tools.
- Sets up serving line at designated times; serve and clean up,
including remote sites or catering functions as required.
- Verifies quantities and specifications of meals.
- May be asked to drive delivery van to transport meals when
- Maintains clean working area, equipment, cafeteria, storage
areas and restroom in accordance with established health and safety
- Maintains facilities in a sanitary condition.
- Uses hazardous chemicals for cleaning and performs daily
completion of chemical logs.
- Launders towels, aprons and other linens.
- Performs one or more specific food service assignments as
directed by Supervisor such as cashier, caterer, etc.
- Assists with the training of new employees and cross-training
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of
ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Other Characteristics
A willingness to learn and understand:
- The History, culture, traditions, and customs of the Salt River
Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
- Food service operations in school or institutional
- Basic food safety and sanitation procedures
- Point of sale systems
- Preparing planned/assigned menu items acceptable to the end
- Task and time management to meet multiple deadlines
- Computer skills to include Microsoft Office Suite, Internet,
e-mail, and spreadsheets
- Minimizing food and supply waste
- Basic math to determine portion requirements
- Determining if work habits/operating procedures/food products
are safe for workers/customers
- Use a computer and point of sale system as instructed for job
- Read, understand, and follow printed information including, but
not limited to; recipes, production sheets, guidance manuals,
equipment manuals, and product labels
- Communicate effectively and work cooperatively with
- Tolerate excessive heat and excessive cold (0 degrees F to 90
- Hear in a noisy environment
- Operate equipment safely including standard food preparation
utensils such as knives, spoons, tongs and whips; and power driven
equipment such as a meat slicer or mixer
- Make continuous or repetitive arm-hand movements, such as
slicing or chopping food
- Remain in a standing position for extended periods of time and
bend or stoop repeatedly over time, such as removing items from
stove, oven or refrigerator
- Move objects between 20-50 pounds short distances (20 feet or
- Maintain a clean, safe work area
- Practice sanitary, safe work habits: and present no direct
threat to others in the same area. This may include use of
appropriate tools, chemical solutions, and other materials.
- Education and experience: High school diploma or G.E.D.
- One (1) year experience in quantity, institutional food
- Food Service experience in a school setting is preferred.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a Food Handler's
Equivalency - Any equivalent combination of experience and
education to equal the educational requirement that will allow the
applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job may be
considered when filing the position. Special Requirements
Driving Requirement:This job description does not require the
incumbent to drive; however, any employee who chooses or is asked
to drive an SRPMIC vehicle for work related community business must
receive authorization to do so. For clarification, work related
community business includes driving to and from SRPMIC government
sites and buildings.
Terms of Employment: This position is treated as a full-time
non-exempt position scheduled for 40 hours per week.
To apply for a position at Salt River Schools, applicants must
submit the Immunization Addendum, Criminal Report and Legal
Information addendum, Teaching/Administration Information addendum,
and proof of Arizona teaching certification with your online
application. Forms can be found
Must be able to pass a Pre-Employment Drug Test and extensive
Fingerprint and Background Check. Employee is Subject to Random
Drug Testing and completion of a Background Check every five (5)
Employment preference is given in the following order:
1) Qualified Community Member 2) Qualified Native American, and
3) Other Qualified Applicant.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and
responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive
list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be
In order to obtain consideration for Community member/Native
American preference, applicant must submit a copy of Tribal
Enrollment card or CIB which indicates enrollment in a Federally
Recognized Native American Tribe by one of the following
1) attach toapplication
2) fax (480) 362-5860
3) mail or hand deliver to Human Resources.
Documentation must be received by position closing date.
The IHS/BIAForm-4432 is not accepted.
Your Tribal ID/CIB must be submitted to HR-Recruitment-Two