Secretary (Senior Services)
Company: Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Under general supervision of the department Executive Secretary,
Office Manager or Director, provides administrative support for the
department that assists in achieving the overall department goals
and objectives. Provides mentoring to the clerical job class staff
and assists with a variety of administrative office tasks and
special projects that ensure the efficiency and improvement of
department practices and procedures. This job class is treated as
Examples of Tasks
Distinguishing Features: The Secretary job class is
distinguished from the Clerk and Senior Clerk job classes by
emphasis on more complex clerical and administrative tasks. Helps
the Executive Secretary and Office Manager (if applicable) mentor
the Clerk and Senior Clerk positions but there are no supervision
related tasks. Requires less supervision than the clerical job
classes of Clerk / Senior Clerk.
Essential Functions: Essential functions may vary among
positions and may include the following tasks and other
characteristics. This list of tasks is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not
intended to be comprehensive list of tasks performed by all
positions in this classification.
- Mentoring and Training: Assists the Executive Secretary and/or
Office Manager in mentoring the department's Clerks and Senior
Clerks so they attain the technical and customer service skills
along with experience necessary to perform independently, serve the
department's objectives and attain further career progression
- Assists with cross training Clerk & Senior Clerk staff
regarding department and Tribal Government practices and
- Provides recommendations regarding clerical staff mentoring and
training with emphasis on improving department operations,
decreasing turnaround times, streamlining work processes and
working cooperatively to improve the quality of department
- Administration: Provides direct administrative support to the
Executive Secretary, Office Manager and Director.
- Protects access and dissemination of confidential department
- Performs more complex administrative assignments including
processing PeopleSoft financial requisitions and Time & Labor.
- Processes and catalogues work orders. Establishes and maintains
a work order filing system.
- Provides recommendations to the Executive Secretary and/or
Office Manager regarding overall operation of the department
including practices and procedures.
- Acts as point-of-contact for department Purchasing Card
(P-Card) use with Office Manager approval for travel, food, office
- Office Tasks: Prioritizes clerical and administrative workflow
and performs required tasks in an accurate, timely and professional
- Demonstrates the ability to multi-task.
- Acts as a primary customer service representative for the
department. Accepts customer feedback and complaints and organizes
for routing to the proper department authority.
- Sorts and prioritizes mail for distribution that has been
pre-sorted by Clerk or Senior Clerk.
- Arranges department staff travel, travel claims, accommodations
and airfare as required.
- Schedules conference rooms and ensures proper and timely setup
including any food coordination if required.
- Provides administrative support, including letter typing and
report compilation, to departmental staff. Acts as primary typing
task resource for department.
- Maintains petty cash distribution up to $500 which includes
- Takes notes at department meetings in the absence of the
Executive Secretary and/or Office Manager.
- Transcribes Director's meetings minutes.
- Schedule miscellaneous appointments for management staff as
- Special Projects: Assists the Executive Secretary and/or Office
Manager with special projects as assigned by the Director or
- Includes compiling statistics, data gathering and work
assisting with the annual department budget process.
- Helps maintain and update resource materials.
- Miscellaneous: Performs other job related duties as assigned by
the Executive Secretary, Office Manager, Director or designee.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
- Knowledge of the history, culture, laws, rules, customs and
traditions of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community and its
- Knowledge of advanced customer service principles and
- Knowledge of department policies, practices and
- Knowledge of computerized office systems.
- Skill identifying and maintaining confidentiality of sensitive
and important information while using diplomacy and tact.
- Skill developing andmaintaining effective working relationships
at all levels of the Tribal Government and Community as well as
with representatives from external organizations.
- Skill with organizational tasks.
- Skill multitasking.
- Skill listening and communicating effectively at all levels of
the organization and Community.
- Skill preparing written correspondence and reports.
- Skill using the personal computer and related software
including MS Windows and MS Office.
- Ability to type on the computer 40 net words per minute.
- Ability to effectively handle more complex assignments.
- Ability to speed-write, take dictation or take notes at a rapid
pace in order to accurately record meeting minutes.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to adapt to changing work situations and
- Ability to work effectively and calmly in a high-stress work
- Ability to respond to inquiries in a timely, accurate and
- Ability to read, comprehend, interpret and follow complex
verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to take and prepare accurate and timely meeting
- Ability to work under pressure by handling problems and tasks
simultaneously and/or unexpectedly as deadlines approachwhile
maintaining a professional, positive and enthusiastic
- Ability to use initiative and independent judgment and
recognize when it is appropriate to refer matters to the Executive
Secretary, Office Manager or Director's attention.
- Ability to be flexible, adaptive and work effectively in a
- Ability to function effectively in a professional, friendly &
- Ability to lift & carry 25 lbs.
Education: Graduation from High School or GED equivalent
- For enrolled Community members without a GED, must obtain a
GED. Requires participation in the HR GED Program and successful
completion of the Arizona state certified exam in order to continue
employment with SRPMIC.
Experience: Two (2) years full-time work experience performing
secretarial and administrative tasks required.
Office Practices Certification preferred.
Completion of a post-High School course or program in Office
Practices or General Business may substitute for 1 year of the
Must be able to demonstrate typing skill at 40 net words per
minute using a computer.
May be required to demonstrate proficiency in taking dictation,
speedwriting or note taking for some positions.
- May be required to demonstrate proficiency with MS Windows and
MS Office computer software.
Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of education and
experience that will allow the applicant to satisfactorily perform
the duties of the job may be considered.
Prior to hire as an employee, applicants will be subject to drug
and alcohol testing. Will be required to pass a pre-employment
background/fingerprint check. Employees are subject to random drug
and alcohol testing.
"SRPMICis an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer"
Preference will be given to a qualified Community Member, then a
qualified Native American and thenother qualified candidate.
In order to obtain consideration for Community member/Native
American preference,applicantmust submit a copy ofTribal Enrollment
card or CIB which indicates enrollment in a Federally Recognized
Native American Tribe by one of the following methods:
1) attach toapplication
2) fax (480) 362-5860
3) mail or hand deliver to Human Resources.
Documentation must be received by position closing date.
TheIHS/BIAForm-4432 is not accepted.
Your Tribal ID/CIB must be submitted to HR-Recruitment-Two
Keywords: Salt River Pima Maricopa Indian Community, Scottsdale , Secretary (Senior Services), Other , Scottsdale, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!