What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest
strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in
the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our
competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do
business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are
looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live
the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from
The position encompasses Miscellaneous E&O and Cyber
underwriting for the Markel Specialty West Region. Specific focus
for this role will to be to establish and grow the Miscellaneous
E&O book of business in the retail distribution space in the
West territory. The primary purpose of this position is to
underwrite new business and renewals in a profitable manner and
according to authority level and established guidelines. The
appropriate candidate will utilize underwriting tools to determine
accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges. In addition,
they should understand state laws within assigned territory to
properly transact business within each state. Extensive
knowledgeable in coverage forms and policy language, appropriate
utilization of forms and exclusions, is critical. In addition to
underwriting acumen, the ideal candidate will also be able to
provide coaching and mentorship to others on the team. Along with
day to day underwriting responsibilities, they will market our
products to producers by coordinating marketing plan with regional
and national marketing associates as well as participate
underwriting meetings as required.
- Review, analyze, accept, and decline Misc E&O and Cyber
risks to ensure profitability for Markel.
- Underwrite and select new business that will produce an
- Manage the existing renewal book and implement corrective
measures, as needed, to meet profitability expectations.
- Communicate with regional managers and national product line
leaders on individual accounts, current and proposed producers, and
make recommendations concerning operations, systems and procedures
- Participate in audits and/or underwriting meetings as
- Build and maintain quality relationships with key producers
while simultaneously monitoring the entire appointed producer base
for profitability and production.
- Review forms and pricing of competitors and be able to
effectively market the Markel product within the competitive
- Provide training or technical assistance to department
- 5+ years of complex Misc. E&O and Cyber underwriting
expertise in retail with surplus lines experience a plus.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and skills reflective of
progression of positions of increasing responsibility.
- Demonstrated marketing and relationship building skills.
- Four-year college degree and/or CPCU or similar designation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Microsoft Office skills to include MS Word and MS Excel.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Must be a team player that enjoys a flexible and spontaneous
business environment with a desire to succeed.
- Up to 25% travel (when appropriate)
"Why work for us?"
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that
diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing
people's differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation.
We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate
around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the
world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back
is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this
philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our
open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as
they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and
global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the
Markel Style-some of our best ideas start from a conversation
between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a
better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates
proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further
success to Markel.